Welcome to GO’s School Board Watch for Wednesday, June 8th. This week’s agenda includes:
A first reading of the 2016-17 Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) and budget
High school funding recommendations from the Measure N Commission
“Sunshine” proposals related to CSEA and UAOS negotiations
2016-17 LCAP and Budget
The Board of Education will hear a first reading of the district’s 2016-17 Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) and budget. Both items will likely receive a second reading and vote at the June 22nd board meeting. To learn more, please see the following resources:
- The district met 12 of 26 already measured LCAP goals (one additional goal is not yet determined) and met over 50% of their goals for individual subgroups. This is a significant increase over last year, when the district met 4 of 19 goals at their first LCAP reading. Find a full accounting of OUSD’s progress in the LCAP presentation (slides 10 to 43).
- This progress is based on 2014-2015 data; it does not yet include data from the 2015-16 school year.
Measure N School Funding
The Measure N Commission has submitted funding recommendations to high schools for the 2016-17 school year. According to its text, Measure N is a parcel tax approved by Oakland voters in 2014 meant “to pay for the implementation of a comprehensive approach to high school education in Oakland that integrates challenging academics with career-based learning and real-world work experiences”.
The Commission’s funding recommendations come in three-tiers based on how complete a school’s Education Improvement Plan is:
- 14 schools will receive $850 per student,
- 3 schools will receive $500 per student with an additional $350 per student available pending corrections to their Education Improvement Plan, and
- 5 schools will receive $200 per student with an additional $650 per student available pending corrections to their Education Improvement Plan
Find the full list of recommendations in the Commission’s proposal.
The California School Employee Association (CSEA) has submitted its “sunshine” proposals to the district for its 2016-19 agreement. The union’s initial proposals include an “increase in salary to a level that is comparable to similarly situated officers’ pay” and the creation of “more appropriate and desirable work shifts”.
See the full “sunshine” proposal for more details.
District’s Reopener to UAOS
OUSD will “sunshine” its proposal for a re-opener to the United Administrators of Oakland Schools (UAOS). The district seeks to reopen sections of the contract related to performance evaluation in order to officially ratify the Leadership Growth and Development System (LGDS). This system, developed by a coalition of over 60 OUSD principals and administrators, has been piloted across the district for the past three school years. Learn more about LGDS at OUSD’s website.
See the full text of the re-opener proposals for more information.
On Wednesday, the board will vote on OUSD staff’s recommendation to approve the renewal of Lighthouse Community Charter School (K-8).
For more details, see the full recommendation and documents.
Last week, the Board was expected to hear updates on transportation and student enrollment improvements; however, these reports were delayed until this week’s meeting. You can find our coverage of those topics in our previous Board Watch.