GO Public Schools Oakland
GO Public Public Schools Oakland (GO Oakland) is a network of families, educators, and community members with a deep moral commitment to the simple idea that every kid deserves a good chance, in school and in life. There are many excellent teachers and schools in Oakland, but today, far too many students lack the education that will prepare them to thrive in their lives. We believe Oakland has the strength, commitment, and passion to do better. Together, we advocate for a school system that puts student outcomes first, demands that leaders do the same, and holds them accountable for keeping their promises.
By providing information, building leadership skills, and advocating publicly, GO Oakland’s network is working toward an Oakland where every student has access to an excellent public school. Alongside advocacy, through GO Public Schools Oakland Advocates, the GO network has played a key role in elevating the work of the school board, electing school board leaders committed to advocating for all students, and helping to pass measures to provide needed services and funds to schools.
GO Public Schools Oakland is seeking to hire a Director of Communications to lead as a communications strategist and generalist — a highly skilled thinker, writer, speaker, and doer. You will drive GO Public Schools’ communications efforts to inspire, engage, and compel audiences of the GO network, including families, educators, and community members, to be informed and advocate for policies and practices that ensure every student in Oakland has access to an excellent public school.
As a member of the Oakland Leadership Team, you will serve as a trusted advisor in leading and supporting across the team to meet the organization’s communications needs. You will set the strategy and manage across all GO Oakland’s communications, including social media, video, blogs, emails, websites, earned media, and press events.
The position is available immediately, and applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sample Illustrative Responsibilities & Duties
- Communications Strategy & Execution: Develop and execute short- and long-term strategic communications plans to advance advocacy campaigns and strategic partnerships
- Brand: Serve as the GO Oakland’s “brand champion,” building GO Oakland’s identity and ensuring consistent and effective branding and messaging in all communications
- Storytelling and Toolkit: Develop and manage GO Oakland’s external communications, including website, blogs, social media, videos, newsletters, talking points and remarks, and an evolving set of communications tools and platforms
- Media: Manage GO’s media relations strategy and objectives to successfully generate stories to advance campaigns, creating and pitching stories, authoring media advisories and releases, responding to media inquiries, and developing a purposeful and proactive communications plan grounded in strong relationships with media outlets
- Press Events: Develop and manage a GO Oakland presence at press events
- Information Sharing: Work with the GO Oakland team to obtain relevant information and share content across multiple channels internally and externally, including digital media and earned media channels
Ideal Experiences, Skills, and Characteristics for Success
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field of study
- 4+ years of experience in communications, such as marketing, media relations, and/or journalism
- Experience with digital media, including videos, websites, social media, and online advertising
- Experience in developing communications strategy
- Developing and managing content across teams
- Bay Area press and/or education experience
Skills and Mindsets
- Belief and commitment to the mission and core values of GO Public Schools Oakland
- A passion for justice and equity in education for students
- Ability to set strategy and goals and develop workplans
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to write clearly and persuasively for multiple audiences using a variety of methods
- Skilled in website content management, blog writing/promotion, newsletter authorship, and social media marketing and communication
- Excellent editing, organization, and multitasking skills
- Experience managing relationships with the media and community and business organizations
- Energetic, self-starter and resourceful problem solver – gets things moving and keeps them on track with high attention to detail; strong project management skills
- Data-driver leader, regularly looking to data to make decisions and improvements
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong team player with a collaborative working style
Email a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to Abby Gillespie, Oakland Director of Strategy and Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is open and posted until filled.
Benefits and Salary
Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between an Anthem PPO or Kaiser HMO
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6 weeks of 40% pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all racial and ethnic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.